Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Book 1

After defeating the great city of Troy, I tried to return home to my beloved wife Penelope and my noble son Telemakhos. Along the way I was attacked by every force the sea could throw at me. I can tell that Poseidon is angry at me, and I realize now that it is because I have blinded his son the Cyclops. I have been lost at sea for a long time, but now I am trapped on an island by the goddess kalypso. I don’t know when she is planning on letting me go, but I think it may be a while. The god Hermes has been giving me a play by play on what’s happening at home. I wish there was a way I could contact my family. I am very worried for my wife, because she is getting closer and closer to giving up hope on me, and marrying one of the suitors who she despises. I do not think she will marry one of the suitors for a long time, I think she will try to delay as long as she can. People will wait a lifetime for someone they love. My son must be going crazy with all these suitors in our home treating it as a free buffet and leaving their trash everywhere. I only hope Athena can convince him to agree to her plan. My son must sail to the Sparta and talk to Menelaos, the king of Sparta. Then once the king tells him that I'm alive he will have to come back and wait for me at home. If a year passes since he gets home, then he will have to allow one of the suitors to marry Penelope. Although this journey will be dangerous, especially with Poseidon against him, I think he will prevail. When people are pushed to the limit for a loved one, they can be braver and more courageous then ever.
Sincerly, Odysseus

No comments: